The English Department is proud to offer numerous forms of support for its undergraduate students and to recognize exceptional accomplishments in various forms of academic and creative work. Below, you can find information about scholarships, prizes, and grants specifically designated for declared English majors. Typically, these prizes and scholarships are awarded in the spring semester.
* Scholarships: Sunday, February 26, 11:59 p.m.
* Writing Prizes: Sunday, February 26, 11:59 p.m.
English students are also encouraged to look more broadly at both University-wide and national or international scholarships to support their education. More information about these further funding opportunities are available via Wisconsin Scholarship Hub and the Grants Information Library. Students can also consult the undergraduate advisor about how to best prepare these applications.
Congratulations to our 2023 scholarship and writing prize winners
Numerous scholarships, varying in number and amount, are awarded to students majoring in English who have distinguished themselves through their academic achievements and through service to the college or community. Beginning in 2011, with a generous gift from a member of the English Department Board of Visitors, we are also now able to offer a deserving student a need-based scholarship. As of 2017, we are also offering a scholarship to a deserving First Generation College Student.
- The deadline for scholarship applications is in March of each academic year
- Please go to: https://wisc.academicworks.com/. If you have not yet used WiSH (UW-Wisconsin Scholarship Hub) You must first complete the “General Application.” This includes 10 simple questions that result in activating a student dashboard. Then click on the “Opportunities/Recommended” tab on the upper left side of the screen. The application(s) that you are eligible for will then appear on your student dashboard for completion. Click on the appropriate application card to move into the specific application.
In order to be eligible for these department scholarships, students must have:
- Declared the English major
- Junior or senior standing (a level of 3 or 4 which equates to 54 credits or more)
- Completed at least 4 courses in the major
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A GPA in the English major of 3.5 or higher
List of Scholarships
The following scholarships are available to undergraduate English majors: