Information for Transfer Students

For students interested in transferring to the English Department, please first consult the UW-Madison Admissions page for information on first applying to the University.

Transferring credits to UW-Madison

Various types of credits, including AP, IB, or CLEP test results, can be used to fulfill course requirements at UW-Madison. You can read more about the types of credits that are accepted on the Office of Admissions website.

You can also find out more about transferring credits using the Course Equivalency Database for UW System Schools and Wisconsin Tecnical Colleges and for some non-UW institutions in the region. In order for a course to be considered for credit toward the requirements for an English major, it must be evaluated by the Office of Admissions and assigned a subject code of ENGLISH and a level of I, A or D (intermediate or advanced). Elementary level courses CANNOT be used toward the 10 courses required for the major.

Students interested in the English-Creative Writing emphasis should note that they will be allowed to use only one creative writing workshop taken outside of the UW-Madison Department of English. If you want to take a creative writing workshop during the first semester after you transfer to UW-Madison you will need to submit a writing sample. Information is available on the Creative Writing Program website.

Orientation and Registration

Prior to starting your first semester at UW-Madison you will attend Student Orientation, Advising and Registration (SOAR) where you will receive information about the University, requirements for earning a degree, and you will register for your first semester courses. Advisors will be there who can answer any questions you may have or direct you to the resources needed to answer them.

Additional resources you might find helpful can be found on the Transfer Transition Program website.