Position title: Ricardo Quintana Professor of English, Emeritus & William Freeman Vilas Research Professor, Emeritus
- Literature, Religion, and the Evolution of Culture 1660-1780. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013; pp. 371. A Choice award book.
- Alexander Pope and the Traditions of Formal Verse Satire. Princeton University Press, 1982. Pp. 388 +ix; 2nd edition, 1984. Reissued as Princeton Classic Paperback, 2014.
- Augustus Caesar in ‘Augustan’ England: The Decline of a Classical Norm. Princeton University Press, 1978; pp. 270 + xi. Reissued as Princeton Classic Paperback, 2014.
- Co-ed with Robert De Maria and Steven Fix, The Yale Anthology of the Works of Samuel Johnson. Yale University Press. Accepted: to appear late in 2019.
- Ed. Samuel Johnson: New Contexts for a New Century. Huntington Library Press, 2014.