The humanities are about the human experience, and this certificate will give you exposure to a range of historical, cultural, and philosophical reasons why people make decisions about their health care. Everyone who comes in contact with the health care system, from health care providers to patients, needs to understand more than just the biological aspects of medicine in order to support health and wellness.
After completing the certificate, you will be able to:
- Identify major developments in the history of medicine and the medical profession
- Describe how the meaning of “health” has varied over time and space
- Comprehend and evaluate complex arguments about politics, values, healthcare, and health in contemporary society
- Understand health and illness as grounded in personal experience, develop empathy for others’ experiences, and use creative means to reflect on those experiences
- Display sensitivity for what health means among differently positioned people