Graduate Certificate Requirements
Download the Graduate TESOL application
- Student Status. Enrollment in any one of the required certificate courses along with enrollment in a graduate degree program at UW-Madison.
- Foreign Language. Satisfactorily
complete at least four college-level terms (or the equivalent, such as 4
years in high school) of a modern foreign language, including its
spoken form. For non-native English speakers, English is considered the foreign language.
- Demonstrate English proficiency of spoken and written English commensurate with the role of language model. Nonnative English speakers must have a score of at least:
- 50 on the SPEAK test or
- 26 on the iBt speaking section, with an overall score of 100 on the iBt or
- 600 on the paper version of TOEFL or
- 7 on IELTS.
Prerequisite Courses - can be taken any time
- English 314 Structure of English
- English 315 English Phonology
- English 318 Second Language Acquisition
Courses on Social Perspectives on English (One of the following three courses)
- English 316 English Language Variation in the U.S.
- English 414 Global Spread of English (not currently offered)
- English 416 English in Society
- English 419 Language and Gender (not currently offered)
Required TESOL Graduate Certificate courses listed below must be taken for graduate credit
TESOL Foundation Course
- English 415 Introduction to TESOL Methods - must precede English 515 and 613-618.
Courses on Second Language Teaching
- English 515 Techniques and Materials for TESOL
- English 613-618 Choice among (3) one-credit TESOL Workshops
• 9 credits of required graduate level courses listed above along with all prerequisites and language requirements.
• A grade point average of 3.0 in all required courses except English 613-618, which is graded as Credit/No Credit.
• Teaching practice. This requirement is normally fulfilled by completion of English 515.
• All requirements for the Certificate in TESOL must be satisfied within three successive academic years.
• Nonnative English speakers must take the SPEAK test and receive a score of 50 or higher (or take a comparable test as mentioned in "admission requirements" above.