English Language & Linguistics
The English Department at the University of Wisconsin-Madison offers several programs in English linguistics. Undergraduate students within the English major can concentrate in language and linguistics as part of their course of study. At the graduate level, we have a robust program that includes both a two-year Master's in Applied English Linguistics and a longer Ph.D. in English Language & Linguistics. Additionally, undergraduate and graduate students can also pursue a certificate in the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) during their course of study, including teaching appointments in conjunction with the program in English as a Second Language.
Our program has many strengths, including...
- Language in interaction/discourse analysis
- Second language acquisition/classroom research
- Structure of English (syntax, morphology, phonology)/English in use
- Synchronic and diachronic variation/global spread of English
- Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL)
Please read more about our courses, faculty, graduate students, and more under the menu on the right.