From left to right: Lester Lennon, Ward Katz, Robert Eccles, Alec Chang, William Reed, Jane Katims, Thomas Johnson, Patricia Brady, Maurice Lee, John Jankoff, Robert Grossman, Nan Rubin, Russ Castronovo, and Cherie Bennett.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of English Board of Visitors (BOV) is a group of UW-Madison alumni and supporters serving as volunteer ambassadors for the Department of English and providing support to the Department’s faculty and staff in enhancing the experience of undergraduate and graduate students.
The BOV consists of 16 to 25 members. BOV members are typically UW-Madison graduates who majored in English or studied literature and language, and who have an abiding interest in and commitment to English literary, writing, and language studies. The Chair of the Department of English serves as an ex-officio member of the BOV.
BOV members are chosen on the basis of their ability to provide sound advice, to advocate for the English Department within the UW-Madison alumni community and beyond, and to support the department’s fundraising efforts
The mission of the BOV is to champion and strengthen the Department’s state, national and international stature in its quest for excellence in research, teaching and professional service. To fulfill its mission, the BOV focuses on:
- Supporting the Department’s development and fundraising initiatives, and helping the Department broaden its financial base by:
– Providing personal financial contributions on an annual basis, and
– Identifying and cultivating potential donors and prospects both on and off campus;
- Serving as ambassadors and advocates for the Department of English by:
– Providing an advocacy network for the Department that promotes the Department’s cutting-edge research and award-winning teaching among alumni across the country and globally, and
– Increasing networking opportunities for alumni with faculty and students in a variety of settings;
- Supporting career initiatives for English majors and graduate students by:
– Working with faculty and staff to facilitate increased mentorship, career exploration, internship, employment and networking opportunities, and other professional opportunities for English majors and graduate students.
The Board of Visitors annually honors a distinguished English graduate who has made outstanding contributions through their professional achievements, contributions to society, or support of the University of Wisconsin-Madison with the Distinguished Alum Award.
Current BOV Members
Emeritus BOV Members